Slain deer was just 'like a puppy'

June 13, 1997


Staff Writer

Some area residents are unhappy over last week's shooting of a playful young doe that walked into their lives and stole their hearts.

The doe, which had been in the Jefferson Boulevard/Turner's Lane neighborhood for about a week, was shot last Thursday by a friend of a Turner's Lane resident after she wandered onto the resident's property.

"She was shot at fairly close range with a high-powered weapon," said investigating Maryland Natural Resources Officer Ray Harner. "I don't think she suffered."


Harner said that when he arrived, about six residents were there. "They were upset that she was shot," he said.

The doe was shot illegally, during closed season, Harner said. "The man who shot her said he knew it was out of season, but the guy who owned the land said he could shoot her."

Harner said the property owner told him he had permission from Natural Resources to shoot the doe, but couldn't tell Harner what number he called or who he talked with.

Harner said the property owner and the man who shot the doe said they were worried that she might be sick, or might wander onto the road and cause an accident.

Harner said the men told him a couple of the property owner's neighbors agreed that the deer should be shot. Under the circumstances, Harner said he gave him a warning.

Harner said the doe was small but appeared healthy, except for a defective jaw. He said she appeared to be about a year old.

"The people in the neighborhood had videos and pictures of her," Harner said. "She was very friendly. She walked up to kids and wanted to play. It sounds like she was raised in captivity."

Alva Pague, who lives on Jefferson Boulevard near Turner's Lane, said she and several neighbors are irate about the shooting.

Pague said she first saw the small doe in her back yard about a week ago. "She followed me to the house. I played with her, like a puppy," Pague said.

"She would even eat corn from our hands," she said.

The doe hung out in the neighborhood, where she befriended others, Pague said. The doe seemed to want their company, licked their faces, and would leap into the air and run like she wanted to play, she said.

Pague said she called Maryland State Police, who came out and tried to chase the doe into nearby woods. "She was scared to death of the woods," Pague said.

Pague said she had permission from a state police officer to move the doe to a farm in Pennsylvania, if she could find a way of getting her there, and obtained the proper permits.

The Herald-Mail Articles