Police log

June 10, 1997

Lawn mowing equipment taken

WILLIAMSPORT - Lawn mowing equipment was stolen from a home over the weekend, the Washington County Sheriff's Department said Monday.

The theft occurred between Saturday afternoon and Monday morning at 11521 Rock Hill Road, deputies said. A black 3.5HP Briggs & Stratton lawn mower motor and two 6-inch lawn mower wheels were taken, deputies said. The equipment was valued at $100.


Smokebombs ignite fire in barn

SMITHSBURG - A small fire was put out quickly in a barn north of Smithsburg on Monday night after the resident tried to chase groundhogs out of the barn using smoke bombs, according to Washington County Fire and Rescue Communications.

Fire and rescue officials from Smithsburg, Mount Aetna, Leitersburg and Franklin County, Pa., responded to the 9:47 p.m. fire in the 22800 block of Stevenson Road, officials said.



Man arrested after stolen car struck

A Hagerstown man was charged with auto theft after a stolen car outside his home was hit by a passing car Monday morning, city police said.

A car struck four parked vehicles on Devonshire Road at about 10 a.m., police said. As officers were sorting out the details of the accident, they discovered that one of the vehicles had been reported stolen.

Karl George Nichols, 34, of 60 Devonshire Road, was charged with auto theft. He was being held at the Washington County Detention Center on $20,000 bond.

Nichols, who was not involved in the accident, was arrested at his house, police said.

Officers discovered the 1995 Buick Skylark had been reported stolen by his mother, Joann F. Nichols, police said.

Other information about the accident was not available.

Horses escape fire in barn

IJAMSVILLE, Md. - Two horses escaped a fire that destroyed a barn early Monday morning, fire officials said.

The 20-by-50-foot, one-story building contained 200 bales of hay, according to the state fire marshal's office. Total damage was estimated at $45,000.

Investigators have not determined a cause of the fire, which began at about 1:35 a.m. Thirty firefighters from the Urbana, Green Valley and Hyattstown companies put out the blaze in about 25 minutes, officials said.

The Herald-Mail Articles