Fire damages home on Avalon Avenue
Fire destroyed a second-story bedroom and damaged the rest of the floor of a house on Avalon Avenue Sunday afternoon, Hagerstown fire officials said.
Assistant Fire Marshal John Hersh said the fire was started by a child who was playing with a cigarette lighter at about 1:15 p.m. The lighter ignited a pile of clothes in the child's room, Hersh said.
The child, who is younger than 7, is too young to be charged, Hersh said.
The child and mother, Cynthia Culbreth, got out of the house and were not hurt, Hersh said.
Hersh said the home, at 49 Avalon Ave., which is owned by Valley Properties, sustained smoke damage on the upper floor. Capt. Randy Myers said the first floor also had minor water and smoke damage.