The Colonial Revival two-story brick house has a front porch with pillars and an enclosed side porch that serves year-round as a sunroom.
Unusual features include an underground irrigation system and several California redwood trees. During the Civil War, a cannonball hit the home, knocked a hole in the side wall and fell next to the foundation where it lay buried for 100 years. It was discovered in the late 1950s, cleaned, polished and given a place of honor indoors.
12323 Itnyre Road, Smithsburg
Skip and Linda Fielden are owners of the spherical building composed of a series of triangles. Architect, engineer and inventor R. Buckminster Fuller originated the geodesic dome design. The Fielden house was built from a kit from a California company in 1986.
The passive solar home contains approximately 3,500 square feet of living space with three bedrooms, two and a half baths, living and dining rooms, kitchen, a full finished basement and large sun room.
The hillside grounds contain a swimming pool surrounded by gardens, a tennis court and a scenic view of the local area.
Angela Kirkham Davis House
29 W. Baltimore St., Funkstown
Joseph Francis Davis and his wife, Angela, bought the house in 1858, shortly after their marriage. Mr. Davis operated a successful dry goods store a block away. Angela Kirkham Davis is known for her Civil War journal.
Sterling Everett and Jack Shellenberg bought the house in 1988 and began a renovation that included the faux brick exterior, faux water stains below each windowsill, a faux marble entry hall and a two-story mural depicting Funkstown and the Funkstown mill.
George and Elizabeth Wheelock bought the property in 1992.
The Christian Boerstler House
17 W. Baltimore St., Funkstown
The earliest known deed found at Washington County Courthouse registers the transfer of the log and fieldstone house from Adam Wohlfarth to Christian Boerstler in 1791. Boerstler, who developed Funkstown, was a physician, schoolmaster, horticulturalist and proprietor of the local mill.
Francis Feretti purchased the property in 1982 and began a painstaking restoration of the four-bay log structure.
The log house is the retirement home of Mrs. Donald "Peg" Stoner.
The Christian Boerstler House
13 W. Baltimore St., Funkstown
Attached to the log house at 17 W. Baltimore St. is the fieldstone home of Michael and Amy Klosterman. The three-bay structure has pegged corner joints on all windows and doors and features original support beams, flooring and stone floor entrances.
It is thought that the properties once were used as a tavern and/or hotel.
There is a pond and an arbored sitting area in the garden enclosed by antique fence.
The Wilson House
14923 Rufus Wilson Road, Clear Spring
Rufus Wilson moved to Washington County in 1847 and built The Wilson House in 1850. The stone house was enlarged immediately after the Civil War with a brick and wraparound porch.
The house was purchased and restored by Lewis and Frances Horst in 1984. Now a bed and breakfast furnished with period antiques, the house was redecorated last year, reflecting the colors and decor of a bygone era.
Wilson House, Wilson Store, Post Office and barn were placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1996.
The Perry House
19 W. Cumberland St., Clear Spring
The Perry House is an example of the late Federal Revival Building style, circa 1840. The house remained in the Perry family for nearly 130 years, when it was bequeathed to the nearby Episcopal church and used as a parish house and meeting facility.
Original hardware and moldings remain, and floors and trim are hand planed and in excellent condition.
Dennis and Diana Crosby, the present owners, have been restoring the house for the past 14 years. They have completed nearly all of the work themselves.
How to get tickets
Tickets are $12 and are available at The Women's Club, 31 S. Prospect St., Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. No tickets will be sold at the houses on the tour, but they can be purchased at The Women's Club from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on tour day, Saturday, June 7.
Tickets also can be purchased at the following places:
25 High St., Funkstown
Katie's House Inc.
7 N. Main St., Smithsburg
1492 Rufus Wilson Road, Clear Spring