Man shot at area motel

May 21, 1997



Staff Writers

HALFWAY - An Eastern Shore man was shot in the chest at the Motel 6 near Valley Mall on Tuesday night, officials said.

Steven McCormick, 31, of Crisfield, Md., was in serious condition in the intensive care unit at Washington County Hospital Tuesday night, hospital officials said.

Washington County sheriff's deputies, the Maryland State Police and Hagerstown City Police were looking for two black men, one of whom is 20 years old, and a white woman in a rented blue Ford Taurus, said Detective Roy Harsh with the Sheriff's Department.


The 10:34 p.m. shooting might have been drug-related or have been an attempted robbery, Harsh said.

McCormick was shot either in the doorway or outside his motel room, Harsh said.

The motel's manager had no comment.

Truck driver Randy Case said he was sleeping in Room 103 when he was awakened by a loud pounding.

He then heard three or four gunshots, said Case, of Topeka, Kan.

Case said he stuck his head out the door to see a blond woman running out of Room 102.

When he asked her what was going on, she said, "I don't know," and jumped into a black Pontiac driven by a man, Case said.

"I saw his face. I didn't really get a good look, but I can tell from the facial structure it was a man," Case said. The car hit a traffic island in the motel parking lot before speeding away.

McCormick walked from Room 102 to the motel lobby a couple doors down and leaned on the lobby desk, Case said.

McCormick's cousin ran down the sidewalk saying, "My partner's been shot," Case said.

Harsh identified the cousin as Carlton Hudson, of Fort Pierce, Fla.

Case said he ran into the lobby and called 911.

McCormick was shot in the right shoulder and had a small exit wound in his back, Case said.

Case said both he and Hudson used their shirts to apply pressure to the wound until an ambulance arrived.

Hudson was sitting in the back seat of a police cruiser being interviewed at midnight.

Harsh said Hudson appeared shaken by the ordeal.

Rooms 100 through 103 were taped off and blood was visible in the motel lobby.

No charges have been filed, police said.

The Herald-Mail Articles