By ELLEN LYON
The Herald-Mail won eight awards in the Maryland-Delaware-D.C. Press Association's "Best of 1996" Advertising Contest.
The advertising department took five first-place awards, one second-place award and two honorable mentions.
This was the first year the department competed in the contest and Herald-Mail Advertising Sales Director Terry McDaniel said he was proud of his staff's performance.
"It's a way to give them recognition that's long overdue," McDaniel said. "I think we do good work every day."
First place awards went to:
- Janis Garren in the local retail spot color category for the "Building Comprehensive Health Care" ad.
- Ray Clark in the local retail full color category for a Rapid Lube ad.
- The retail and classified sales staff in the special section category for the Focus edition.
- The classified telephone sales staff in the linage builder category for the Years of Service pages in the Focus edition.
- The retail and telemarketing staffs in the community service category for the Partners in Education Calendar.
The retail and telemarketing staffs also won a second-place award in the linage builder category for the Tri-State Area's Coupon Corner.