YOU ARE HERE: HeraldMail HomeCollectionsJail

Teen sentenced to two years

May 15, 1997


Staff Writer

The last of three youths involved in the attack on a counselor during an escape from the Washington County juvenile holdover facility last summer was sentenced in Washington County Circuit Court Thursday to two years in jail.

Douglas Wayne Pryor, 18, of Smithsburg, will be on probation for three years when he is released from the Washington County Detention Center. He had pleaded guilty in January to battery and escape.

"There needs to be separation and accountability," said Judge Frederick C. Wright III. "And if you decide to hurt someone again, you will be going to the Division of Correction."


Wright was referring to the four years of prison time he suspended, leaving Pryor with the two-year term in the local jail.

On March 20, a 17-year-old New York teen was sentenced to five years in prison for smashing a telephone into the face of the counselor during the Aug. 6 escape.

Jeffrey Simmons will have to serve that sentence on top of a three-year sentence he was given earlier for drug offenses.

Court records indicated Pryor came up behind the lone male counselor on the night of the escape and pinned his arms to his side.

The counselor was punched in the face by Pryor and hit in the face several times with the telephone wielded by Simmons, court records said. The counselor was held down on the floor and his keys were taken.

The counselor was treated at the hospital and released but still bears scars from the wounds caused by the telephone, court records said.

Also in January, a third co-defendant Roy L. Jenkins, 17, of 232 E. Franklin St., was sentenced to two years in prison for escape.

He was given credit for 106 days spent in jail awaiting trial, court records said. The balance of the sentence was suspended, court records said.

Pryor was caught shortly after the 7:15 p.m. break-out.

Within days, Hagerstown City Police had caught Jenkins and Simmons.

The Herald-Mail Articles