Police log

May 13, 1997

Fire damages duplex porch

Damage has been set at $3,000 in a fire that burned the porch of a duplex across the road from St. James School Sunday evening.

Maryland State Fire Marshals were investigating the cause of the 6:35 p.m. blaze that was discovered by a cable television employee.

Fairplay Fire Company volunteers responded to the fire and had it under control within 10 minutes, fire marshals said.

Owned by the school, the two-story duplex in the 17600 block of College Road is occupied by Joyce Ray and Amy Andrews.


The tenants were able to return to the residence after the fire was doused.

Pickup truck reported stolen

A 1989 green Ford F-150 pickup truck, valued at $8,000, was stolen Sunday from the 13200 block of Rowe Road near Keedysville, according to Maryland State Police.

The 4x4 truck has Md. tags 02B486, police said.

Police search for theft suspects

Maryland State Police are looking for two white men in a gray van with brown spots who were seen near a Greencastle Pike garage Sunday where $875 in lawn equipment was stolen.

Taken were a riding lawn mower, a Stihl chain saw and and a Stihl gas trimmer, police said.

The garage was unlocked, police said.

Firefighters twice respond to store

Hagerstown firefighters were called to a convenience store on South Potomac Street twice Sunday afternoon for the same problem.

Firefighters arrived at the Locust Point Market at 360 S. Potomac St. at about 1 p.m. to find a faulty light ballast which was sparking.

Officials replaced the component, which serves as a power supply for fluorescent lights, said Capt. Brian Pile.

Firefighters returned at about 4 p.m. to find a light haze. The culprit again was another malfunctioning light ballast, Pile said.

"They were all put in at the same time," he said. "It looks like they all started to go bad at the same time."

Pile said the devices were replaced and an electrician was called to check all the lights.

Radio near stove blamed for fire

FREDERICK, Md. - The State Fire Marshal's office is blaming a radio set too close to the stove for causing a house fire Sunday morning in the Hillcrest Orchard section of town, according to Sgt. Jack Markey of the Independent Hose Company.

The fire caused an estimated $20,000 to the townhouse at 1249 Danielle Drive, Markey said.

Flames and smoke were visible when firefighters arrived, shortly after the 10:20 a.m. call, he said.

The kitchen was heavily damaged by fire, and there was extensive smoke damage in the rest of the house, he said.

Three attached townhouses suffered no damage, Markey said.

The State Fire Marshal's office estimated $10,000 damage to the structure and $10,000 damage to the contents, he said.

Federal judge hears C&O cases

According to court records, the following people appeared before U.S. Magistrate Judge Don Beachley on May 9 on charges brought by National Park Service rangers on C&O Canal property:

n Jerry F. French Jr., 34, of 1514 Ballinger Creek Pike, Point of Rocks, possession of cocaine, one-year probation, drug and alcohol treatment, $510 fine.

n Markey F. Rutherford, 47, of 10649 Dam No. 5 Road, Clear Spring, destruction of natural resources, $250 fine.

n Charles J. Spence, 39, of 1605 Wire Road, Point of Rocks, possession of cocaine, one-year probation, drug and alcohol treatment, $510 fine.

n Robert Fleegle, 29, of 12461 Seavolt Road, Hancock, possession of marijuana and driving while suspended, $20 fine, 45 days in jail (already served), one year probation, drug and alcohol treatment.

n Terry Lee Cole, 35, of 18832 Sandy Hook Road, Knoxville, possession and use of a metal detector, forfeiture of detector, $85 fine.

Man injured in motorcycle crash

MARTINSBURG, W.Va. - A Martinsburg man was seriously injured Monday when he wrecked his motorcycle on U.S. 11 near Bedington Crossroads, according to West Virginia State Police.

Larry Howard Shelton, 19, was going north on the highway about 4:40 a.m. when his Suzuki went off the road, overturned, and ejected Shelton, according to Sgt. Rob Blair.

Shelton was taken to Washington County Hospital in Hagerstown where he was listed in serious condition Monday afternoon, officials said.

The Herald-Mail Articles