Dad says son shot intruder in self defense

April 24, 1997


Staff Writer, Waynesboro

CHAMBERSBURG, Pa. - Daniel Alan Frazier, 18, fired the shot to the head that killed Ernesto "Ernie" Casanova early Wednesday morning after Casanova entered Frazier's mobile home in Greene Township, Pennsylvania State Police said Thursday.

Frazier lives at the home at 4496 Sycamore Grove Road in Green Acres Mobile Home Park with his younger brother and his parents, Alan and Barbara Frazier. All were home at the time of the shooting, Alan Frazier said.

Casanova, 17, was shot once in the head with a handgun, said Franklin County Coroner Kenneth L. Peiffer Jr. An autopsy was performed Wednesday at Lehigh Valley Medical Center in Allentown, Pa.


No charges have been filed in the 3:15 a.m. shooting. Police said none of the Fraziers knew Casanova.

According to Alan Frazier, Casanova was one of several masked youths who broke into the home. Frazier said his son acted in self defense. "It's an open and shut case as far as I'm concerned," he said.

Sonia Granados, Casanova's mother, said her son would not have acted alone and suggested he was pressured to go to the mobile home by others.

"I want his name to be cleared," Granados said of her slain son. "Maybe he was framed. I want the others to come forward. If they're man enough to break in then they should be man enough to face us."

Police would not say whether Casanova was with others at the time of the shooting.

"We're following up why (Casanova) was at the house," said investigating officer Mark J. Grove.

Meanwhile, state police were at the address again Thursday afternoon investigating a burglary that occurred there late Wednesday night or early Thursday morning, Frazier said.

Frazier said he returned to the home around 1 p.m. Thursday and discovered the back door open. He noticed "numerous" items were missing but would not describe them.

The family was not at home Wednesday night.

Frazier's next door neighbor, Hedy Rodgers, said she told police she heard her neighbor's dog bark and then saw a car speed up the street around 10:30 p.m. Wednesday.

She said the car turned around quickly and then shined its headlights on the Fraziers' mobile home before speeding away again. She could not identify the make or color of the car.

In light of what had happened earlier that morning, "I got spooked and I got scared and I went over to my girlfriend's house to stay last night," Rodgers said. "Normally I've never been afraid here."

Frazier said he doesn't connect Wednesday morning's break-in and shooting with the later break-in, explaining that if it had been a reprisal, they would have "trashed the place."

Still shaken from the previous day's events, Frazier said that with the discovery of a second break-in he's not sure whether his family will return to the mobile home they've lived in for about six years.

"I really don't know what I'm going to do," Frazier said. "It's just a tragedy. The whole thing that happened here is a tragedy."

Frazier said he "has no clue" why Casanova and the others were breaking in.

"It's scary. It's just an eye-opener for me," he said. "If you would've told me that a mass of kids were going to break through my front door in the middle of the night I wouldn't have believed you."

Frazier said his son, Dan, is "shook and scared." Dan does not attend school and is unemployed, he said.

He would not say how his son obtained the handgun used in the shooting.

The Herald-Mail Articles