Family escapes uninjured from fire
BRUNSWICK , Md. - A family escaped uninjured Saturday morning when a fire caused by a carelessly discarded cigarette swept through their Boss Arnold Road home.
Charles Green, his wife and children are staying with relatives, according to Brunswick Fire Chief Roy Lipscomb.
Damage to the single-story brick home was estimated at $95,000. The family is insured.
Lipscomb said the fire was reported around 10 a.m.
"Mrs. Green said she had just emptied an ashtray in the bathroom wastebasket and then went into the kitchen to talk on the phone,'' Lipscomb said.
When she heard the smoke detector go off, she tried to put the fire out but was unsuccessful, Lipscomb said.
Responding with Brunswick were firefighters from Jefferson, Lovettsville, Va., and Carroll Manor.
One Brunswick firefighter suffered a minor burn but was treated on the scene, Lipscomb said.