I-70 crash kills two

April 15, 1997


Staff Writer

A woman and one child were killed and another child was critically injured Tuesday night after their car ran off westbound Interstate 70, struck a guard rail and overturned, Maryland State Police said.

The victims appear to be a mother, age 35, of Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, and her two sons, estimated at about 10 and 7 years old, police said.

Police were attempting to contact family members and make positive identifications late Tuesday.

The single-vehicle accident happened around 7 p.m. near the 30-mile marker just east of the Sharpsburg Pike exit, police said.

The 1994 blue-green Ford Probe was westbound in the fast lane when it veered off the right side of the road, hit the guard rail and started flipping, police said.


The cause of the accident is being investigated, police said.

A dark green suitcase and pieces of clothing were strewn on the grass around the car, which landed on its roof, facing the road. A shattered window had wrapped around a guardrail post, and the railing was crushed for several car lengths.

The younger boy was thrown from the car, police said.

He was flown by state police helicopter to Children's Hospital in Washington, D.C., where he was in serious but stable condition late Tuesday, police said.

The older boy and the woman were trapped in the car, said Deputy Chief Jim Kershner Jr. of the Funkstown Volunteer Fire Company.

It took about 35 minutes for fire company members to get them out of the car, Kershner said.

The woman was pronounced dead at the scene by a state medical examiner who happened to be passing by and stopped, he said.

The older boy was taken to Washington County Hospital by Community Rescue Service, he said.

The child did not survive, police said.

There were no other occupants in the car, police said.

The right westbound lane was closed around the accident scene for just under 2 1/2 hours during the rescue and investigation, police said. Westbound traffic was backed up for about a mile during that time.

Firefighters from Halfway and Clear Spring supported the rescue effort, Kershner said.

The Herald-Mail Articles