Advertisement

Fire damages Harpers Ferry home

April 03, 1997

HARPERS FERRY, W.Va. - A fire damaged a house at 565 Gilbert St. in Harpers Ferry on Wednesday morning, according to Friendship Fire Co. Chief Steve Hough.

No one was injured in the 9 a.m. blaze that caused an estimated $15,000 in damage to the two-story home, Hough said.

About 20 firefighters battled the blaze for about 40 minutes before the fire was under control at the house owned by Frances Dale Duncan, the chief said.

Friendship firefighters were assisted by firefighters from the Independent and Citizens fire companies, he said.

The fire appears to have started in the chimney and spread to the attic, he said.

There also was smoke and water damage on the second floor and smoke damage on the first floor, Hough said.

Advertisement
The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|