Testimony - Children slept through slaying

April 03, 1997


Staff Writer

CHAMBERSBURG, Pa. - Close-range gunshots that killed Carla Reid and her daughter while they slept last December failed to wake up young children sleeping beside them, according to testimony during a Thursday preliminary hearing for Albert E. Reid.

Reid, 49, is charged with two counts of criminal homicide and burglary in the Dec. 27, 1996, deaths of his estranged wife, Carla Reid, 36, of 2204 Sollenberg Road, and her daughter and Reid's stepdaughter, Diedra L. Moore, 14.

District Justice Gary L. Carter found probable cause Thursday to send Reid's case to Franklin County Court for trial. Reid, of Chambersburg, is being held in the Franklin County Prison pending his May 21 arraignment. The earliest date for which a trial can be scheduled is July, said Franklin County District Attorney Jack Nelson.


Carla Reid was sleeping in her bed with two of her six children, Jeremy Moore, 8, and Lorrance Reid, 5, when she was shot once in the head from less than two feet away, according to testimony from State Police Trooper Wayne Sheppard, the investigating officer.

The weapon used was a .380-caliber handgun, Sheppard said.

Sheppard testified that Moore was shot at close range with the same caliber weapon while sleeping in her bed with Larissa Reid, Carla Reid's youngest child.

Reid's two other children, Jonathan Moore, 15, and Joseph Moore, 11, were asleep in the living room at the time, Sheppard testified.

The two children next to Carla Reid woke up later that morning and saw blood on their mother's face, Sheppard testified. They went into Diedra Moore's room and saw a similar scene there, the trooper said. The children then went into the living room to tell their older brother, Jonathan, but he ignored them and told them to go back to sleep.

"Jonathan was still asleep so he didn't comprehend what had happened," Sheppard testified.

Jonathan did not realize what happened until he awoke at 8:30 a.m., Sheppard said.

According to testimony, Carla Reid's first husband, John Paul Moore, was the father of the four oldest children. She had the two youngest children while married to Albert Reid.

The telephone lines outside Carla Reid's house had been cut, according to testimony.

Reid has also been charged with sexually assaulting Diedra Moore when the girl was 11, according to court records. A trial in that case is pending.

Before her death, Carla Reid had filed three protection from abuse orders against Albert Reid since 1992, according to testimony Thursday. The most recent was issued in October 1996, according to testimony.

Sheppard testified that a paper found stuffed into one of Reid's shoes showed a hand-drawn image of a headstone inscribed with the names of the two victims. Investigators are calling it a "death list."

The shoe was seized in a search of the motel room where Reid was staying at the time of the slayings, according to testimony.

Other names on the stone included those of District Justice John Weyman who presided over Reid's preliminary hearing on the sexual assault charges; Trooper Mark Grove, who investigated that case; Carleton Smith, Reid's probation officer, and Lisa Gardner, Carla Reid's sister.

Gardner took notes during the Thursday proceedings.

Reid, dressed in a red and blue plaid shirt and jeans, was chained at the hands and feet and bound with a large leather belt at the waist during the hearing. He conferred often with attorney David Keller, his court-appointed lawyer.

The Herald-Mail Articles