Man is held in pistol incident

March 25, 1997


Staff Writer

A Hagerstown man faces first-degree assault charges following allegations that a loaded gun was pointed at his live-in girlfriend on Friday and the trigger pulled, court records said.

Roger Earnest Heare Sr., 53, of 14225 Oak Springs Road, was being held Monday on $500,000 bond. Washington County District Court Judge Ralph France did not modify the bond after hearing details about the incident.

A loaded .22-caliber handgun was pointed at Rose Marie Lewis and the trigger pulled, but the gun didn't go off even though there was a bullet in the chamber, Assistant State's Attorney Arthur Rozes said in court Monday.


"There was a witness to this," Rozes said. The witness was Heare's mother, police reports said.

Heare, who also was charged with second-degree assault and resisting arrest, told France that he did not point the gun at Lewis.

"I only pulled it out for self-protection," Heare said.

Maryland State Police said they learned that a number of nonemergency 911 calls were made Friday at around 7:30 a.m. from the home shared by Heare and Lewis.

Less than an hour later, Heare allegedly showed up at the Washington County Narcotics Task Force building demanding police.

Trooper 1st Class T.R. Bequette went to the Oak Springs address and contacted Lewis who told him Heare was in the house.

She told Bequette she was assaulted, police reports said.

After leaving the house briefly, Lewis returned and the gun was pointed at her, police reports said.

Heare, on the other hand, told police his leather coat had been burned and he had been assaulted.

When asked about the gun, Heare told Bequette the gun was in the bedroom but Lewis said he was sitting on it, police reports said.

Bequette asked Heare to move but he resisted, police reports said. The trooper moved him and found the loaded weapon under a pillow, police reports said.

Heare resisted being handcuffed, police reports said.

Heare and Lewis have lived together for 18 years and have four children, police reports said.

The Herald-Mail Articles