Man faces charges after police chase

March 23, 1997


Staff Writer

A 32-year-old Frederick, Md., man who led police on a wild chase through Hagerstown and Interstate 70 late Saturday has been charged with driving while intoxicated and numerous traffic violations, Hagerstown Police said Sunday.

Steven Morris Grove, of 9944 Bethel Road, struck two city police cruisers during the chase, which began shortly after 11 p.m. at the corner of North and Jonathan streets and ended about 20 minutes later on I-70, near Md. 66, police said.

Grove also has been charged with three counts of assault, three counts of reckless endangerment and possession of a controlled dangerous substance.


Police said Grove was parked at the corner in a 1984 GMC Jimmy when city officers patrolling the Jonathan Street area in a marked car spotted him.

According to police, Grove's actions led officers to suspect he was driving while impaired.

But as they walked up to the vehicle, Grove sped off, police said.

The officers returned to their car and pursued him through the North End, onto South Potomac Street, then onto I-70, police said.

A radio check of the truck's tag showed it belonged on a Ford truck, police said.

As he fled out of town, Grove drove the wrong way on one-way streets, crossed several residential lawns and attempted to ram some marked city police cars that were pursuing him, police said.

Maryland State Police troopers and Washington County sheriff's deputies joined the pursuit on I-70, where Grove changed directions several times by crossing the median strip, police said.

One state police cruiser was damaged in the pursuit while attempting to stop the truck, according to Maryland State Police Cpl. G.L. Barnhart.

Two city police cars were also struck on I-70, Hagerstown Police said.

No one was injured, police said.

Grove was in possession of suspected marijuana when he was finally stopped near Md. 66, police said.

Other charges include fleeing and alluding a police officer, reckless driving, driving with a suspended license, speeding, and failure to stop for a traffic signal, police said.

Grove was being held late Sunday at the Washington County Detention Center, police said. Bond was set at $75,000.

Clyde Ford contributed to this story.

The Herald-Mail Articles