Man sentenced in drive-by shooting

March 06, 1997


Staff Writer

The first of three men indicted in last year's drive-by shooting of an apartment building in Hagerstown was sentenced to 10 years in prison Thursday in Washington County Circuit Court.

Mark Wayne Moore, 21, of Hagerstown, pleaded guilty to one count of assault, according to Assistant State's Attorney Duane Gigeous.

Moore's admitted role in the Aug. 15 incident was that he provided the weapon, but was not the shooter, Gigeous said.

He has been serving time in the Maryland Division of Correction on unrelated charges, court records said.

Additional charges of reckless endangerment, assault, assault with intent to murder, and conspiracy to commit murder were dropped in exchange for Thursday's plea.


The shooting occurred just after 2:30 a.m. on Aug. 15 as police officers Christopher Kayser and Jeffrey Shifler were on routine patrol in the 400 block of North Potomac Street.

The officers were behind a car traveling south when it pulled to the west side of North Potomac Street, and Kayser saw a handgun being pointed from the passenger side of the car, police said.

Kayser then heard about six shots being fired and saw the muzzle flash from the weapon, police said.

The brown Oldsmobile, which was reported stolen later that morning, continued south on Potomac Street before stopping briefly at West Franklin Street, where two men got out of the back seat and fled on foot.

When police attempted to stop the car, it continued on West Franklin Street before striking a curb at the corner of West Franklin and High streets, where the driver and passenger got out and fled on foot.

Moore, who was arrested later that day, was identified as the passenger who fled when the car hit the curb, police said.

Arrested three days later was Michael Wayne Bernhisel Jr., 24, of Hagerstown, who also was indicted in the shootings.

His court appearance is scheduled for Monday, March 10.

A third man, Donnie "Buggsy" Caldwell, 18, of 1024B Noland Drive, is being held without bond awaiting trial at the end of March, court records said.

Both face numerous charges of reckless endangerment, assault, assault with intent to murder and conspiracy to commit murder, according to Washington County Circuit Court files.

Police said Thursday that more arrests are expected. No one was injured in the shootings.

The Herald-Mail Articles