No one injured as two houses burn

March 01, 1997


Staff Writer

Two mothers and their young children escaped unharmed after their homes caught fire Friday afternoon within about two hours of each other.

In the first fire, which began shortly after 1 p.m. in Smithsburg, Tina Creamer and her young son were at their home at 14 E. Water St. when the fire began.

Creamer said the blaze started in the addition she and her husband were building onto the back of the house.

As she watched the firefighters work, Tina Creamer sat on the porch of 12A E. Waters St., surrounded by friends and neighbors. She held her son, David, her lap.


Creamer said her other four children were at school.

Both of the family's dogs were killed in the fire. Steve Lewis, assistant chief of the Smithsburg Volunteer Fire Department said that when he arrived Creamer was trying to run into the gray, two-story house to save her pets.

Firefighters estimate the home sustained about $60,000 in damage.

Minutes after the Smithsburg fire was put out - as firefighters continued to inspect the home to try to find the fire's origin - Hagerstown crews were called to a blaze at 218 Frederick St.

After the fire was put out, Coleen Roberts sat on the sidewalk across the street, holding her head in her hands.

"The baby was playing ... and then I don't know what happened," she said.

"What am I going to do?" she said, crying.

Hagerstown Fire Battalion Chief Ron Horn said Roberts' rented home at 218 Frederick St. had fire and smoke damage while the other side of the duplex sustained smoke damage. A house at 220 Frederick St. also sustained fire damage.

"The fire broke out the windows and melted the siding on the house at 220 Frederick St.," Horn said.

Horn said the fires were put out in a little more than 10 minutes.

Frederick Street was blocked off from South Mulberry to Hager Street. Two fire truck ladders stretched to third-floor windows of the red brick building.

Horn said that five city units, the emergency air unit and the community rescue service responded to the call.

Fire officials couldn't provide a damage estimate or the cause of the Hagerstown fire.

The Herald-Mail Articles