Police log

February 24, 1997

Md. teen faces drug charges

FREDERICK, Md. - A Frederick teenager is facing several drug charges after a sting operation by the Frederick Police Tactical Unit on Friday night, police said.

The 17-year-old was charged with two counts of possession of crack cocaine, two counts of possession with intent to distribute crack cocaine and distribution of crack cocaine, police said.

He was released to his mother's custody, police said.

The teen was arrested around 11:20 p.m. on Friday near a fast-food restaurant in the 1000 block of West Patrick Street after police allegedly purchased crack cocaine from him, police said.


Fire ruled arson

A fire that caused $10,000 in damage to a first-floor apartment in a building at 136 Broadway in Hagerstown last week was deliberately set, city fire officials said.

Assistant Fire Marshal Wayne Smith said someone entered the apartment through the front window and set clothing on fire in the living room.

No one was injured. Other tenants in the four-story building got out safely.

The fire was reported at about 6:30 p.m. Smith said investigators would like to talk to anyone who may have seen someone on the front porch of the residence at about 6 p.m.

Anyone with information is asked to call the fire marshal's office at 790-3200.

Vandals slash tires

Vandals slashed car tires in Hagerstown and Frederick over the night on Saturday, police said.

According to the Hagerstown Police Department, six cars in the 700 block of West Wood Street were damaged Saturday night or early Sunday morning. Sgt. Gary Spielman said there was no apparent pattern or motive. "Some had one; some had four," he said. "Random acts of vandalism."

In Frederick County, 12 tires valued at $960 were slashed overnight, the Maryland State Police said.

Three cars parked at 7648 Fingerboard Road were damaged, police said. The crimes are believed to have occurred in the early-morning hours on Sunday, police said.

Three face drug charges

FREDERICK, Md. - A Frederick man allegedly sold crack cocaine to an undercover police officer just after midnight on Sunday morning, Frederick City Police said.

Merhle Stanley Smith, 52, of 63 Stewart Manor Apartments, was charged with distribution of cocaine, possession of cocaine with intent to distribute, three counts of possession of cocaine, possession of marijuana and two counts of possession of drug paraphernalia.

An undercover officer bought crack from a man outside the apartment, police said. He allegedly also had crack hidden in his hair. He was immediately arrested, and officers discovered more drugs in his apartment, police said.

Smith's roommates were also arrested. Sherry Diane Fike, 49, and Kenneth Daniel Lawson, 34, were each charged with possession of cocaine, possession of marijuana and two counts of possession of drug paraphernalia.

Fire burns three acres in Pa.

WAYNESBORO, Pa. - There were no injuries in a field fire Sunday that burned about three acres at 11622 Koons Road, according to Waynesboro Assistant Fire Chief Gary Summers.

Firefighters were called to the address at 11:03 a.m. after the fire spread from a burn barrel, Summers said.

The fire spread quickly due to high winds and dry conditions, Summers said.

Waynesboro Fire Department was assisted by brush units from Greencastle, Pa., and Mont Alto, Pa.

The fire was extinguished in about a half hour, Summers said. The field is owned by Larry Yaukey.

Police chase man

FREDERICK, Md. - A Frederick man who refused to stop for police led officers on a chase through the city Sunday morning, first by car and then on foot, Frederick City Police said.

When he was finally chased down, the man resisted arrest and grabbed at Officer Joseph Simmons' duty belt, knocking off his portable radio, police said.

James Anthony Johnson, 36, of L303 Elmwood Terrace Apartments, was charged with resisting arrest, second-degree assault, attempting to disarm a police officer and numerous traffic offenses, police said.

Passenger Robert Michael Junkins, 28, of 1467 C1 Key Parkway in Frederick, was charged with unauthorized use of a motor vehicle.

According to police, the chase began when the driver refused to stop after being clocked for speeding on South Jefferson Street.

Police chased the vehicle onto Himes Avenue where the vehicle struck a fire hydrant, police said.

The vehicle finally stopped on East Thornhill Place, police said. The driver then got out of the car and started running away, police said.

Summons used pepper spray to subdue the driver, police said.

The Herald-Mail Articles