Williamsport girls finish strong to beat North

February 18, 1997


Staff Correspondent

WILLIAMSPORT - Trailing by one point (41-40) with just under 2:30 remaining, the Williamsport Wildcats proceeded to score the final nine points of the game to get past the North Hagerstown Hubs 49-41 on Monday night in a Monocacy Valley Athletic League girls' basketball game.

Senior point guard Erin Gross and Jessica Rouse made a lay-up each to start the nine-point streak for Williamsport. After that, Carrie Weimer sank three of her four foul shots and Janet Richmond made both of her free throws to cap the hot spell and clinch the win for the Wildcats.

"I think at the end that we had more composure than they did," Williamsport coach Curtis Graff said. "We called a timeout when we were down by a point with about 2 1/2 minutes left. First of all, we talked about regaining our composure offensively during the timeout. I also told my players to be aggressive defensively."


"Erin Gross showed some good senior leadership for us down the stretch," Graff added. "She did a good job of running the offense and coming up with a couple of clutch steals. Everybody was playing hard, but Erin happened to be in the right places at the right times. Everybody was doing a good job of rebounding for us down the stretch. We got good help from our bench. You want your players to play with poise and they did that."

Richmond had 13 points and 10 rebounds, while Weimer added 11 points and 10 rebounds for the Wildcats. Megan Andrews had six rebounds for Williamsport (13-7, 9-7).

Tia Ferguson collected 18 points and 11 rebounds, while Kristin Sherwood added 13 rebounds and three assists for North Hagerstown. Chris Scott had three assists and three steals for the Hubs (8-12, 5-11).

"During the first quarter and the first part of the second quarter, we were in total control of the game," North Hagerstown coach Diane Telemko said. "We were hitting the open person, getting the rebounds and playing with a lot of intensity in wanting to win. In the second half we were still playing with intensity, but we turned the ball over a lot. Williamsport capitalized on our turnovers. We also were not getting the second and third shots on offense."

The Wildcats' defense held the Hubs to just four points in both the second quarter and the fourth quarter.

North Hagerstown jumped out to a 19-11 lead in the first quarter behind 10 points from Ferguson.

Williamsport came back to take a 26-23 lead at halftime.

At the end of the third quarter, the Hubs led the Wildcats by a slim 37-36 margin.

The Herald-Mail Articles