Advertisement

Police log

February 18, 1997

Police use spray to subdue man

HANCOCK - Washington County sheriff's deputies used pepper spray to subdue a Hancock man who resisted arrest Tuesday afternoon, police said.

Robert Lee Fleegle, 29, of 12461 Seavolt Road, was charged with resisting arrest and assault, deputies said.

His brother, George Allen Fleegle, 23, of the same address, was charged with obstructing and hindering, police said.

Deputy Michael Gladhill and Deputy 1st Class Maeve Starliper arrived at the Seavolt Road home at about 12:45 p.m. to serve a warrant on Robert Fleegle for failure to appear in Washington County Circuit Court, police said.

When Robert Fleegle saw the officers, he allegedly ran into the house. The deputies followed him and placed him under arrest, police said.

Advertisement

Once outside, the man complained that handcuffs were too tight, police said. While the officers were checking the cuffs, the man began to fight the officers, police said. He got his left hand free and continued to resist being handcuffed, police said.

The deputies used pepper spray to subdue him, police said.

As the struggle ensued, the man's brother began shouting and became "aggressive," deputies said.

Neither deputy was injured, police said.

Robert Fleegle was being held in the Washington County Detention Center awaiting an appearance before a bond commissioner.

George Fleegle posted $5,000 bond.

Pipe steam sets off fire alarm

Steam from a malfunctioning heating pipe set up an automatic alarm at the Washington County Hospital's Pangborn Hall at 250 E. Antietam St. Tuesday night, the Hagerstown Fire Department said.

When firefighters arrived at about 9:25 p.m., they could see thick steam billowing from the basement window. Heat from the steam set off a heat detector in the basement, Battalion 3 Chief Richard Hopkins said.

"The detector did what it is supposed to do," he said. "But there was no fire."

Hopkins said the steam came from either a pipe break or an improperly working valve. Firefighters stood by while maintenance workers shut off the valve from across the street.

Fire burns ground at fairgrounds

A brush fire burned a 10-foot swath of ground at the Hagerstown Fairgrounds at about 6 p.m., the Hagerstown Fire Department said.

The fire, which was reported by a Jefferson Boulevard resident, was out by the time firefighters arrived, Battalion 3 Chief Richard Hopkins said.

Hopkins said the fire looks as if it had been intentionally set. The matter is under investigation.

Vehicle smashes into building

There were no immediate reports of injuries Tuesday morning when a vehicle smashed into a building at the intersection of Locust and Washington streets.

Fire and rescue personnel were called out at 7:44 a.m. and learned that all occupants were refusing medical care, rescuers said.

Traffic was disrupted for more than an hour while the wreckage was cleared up.

Thefts reported

More thefts from vehicles and homes were reported Monday.

  • A thief took a $300 stereo system from a vehicle parked at 17610 Homewood Road, Washington County Sheriff's deputies said.
  • At 11214 Marbern Road, a CD player, CDs and a stereo unit valued at $720 were taken, deputies said.
  • A snowblower and a Sears air compressor, valued at $900, were taken from a shed at 11933 Glenside Ave., deputies said.


Fire hits Pa. mission building

CHAMBERSBURG, Pa. - Chambersburg firefighters were cleaning up from a fire at 10:30 p.m. Tuesday night at Four States Christian Mission at 72 N. Main St., according to officials.

Firefighters were called to the scene around 9 p.m. No injuries were reported at press time.

No further details were available.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|