Westminster stuns Frederick in state duals

February 16, 1997


Staff Correspondent

HAMPSTEAD, Md. -The first time Frederick wrestled Westminster, a sophomore Cadet heavyweight pinned Owl Mike Swain to give Frederick a 34-24 victory.

This time, with the Cadets also ahead, senior Swain ignited the crowd by pinning an inexperienced Jeff Perry. This time, it was at the Maryland 3A-4A State Dual semifinals and it gave the Owls a 27-24 victory.

"I have no excuses" said Frederick coach Andre Jackson. "They came to wrestle and we didn't. The kids gave me everything they had."


It was the Owls' constant motion that left Frederick asking "Who?" Chris Reiter (103) started with a 6-3 upset of Cadet Scott Linton, avenging his earlier 7-2 loss. Bobby Biden (112), ranked No. 6 in the state, pinned Cadet Nate Kelly, while teammate Grant Lindsay (119) defeated Ivan Zdanov, 5-2.

Cadet Christian Davis (125) took his bout 10-6 from Kyle Burger. At this point, Jackson sent back-up Dan Hardin against Jimmy Reiter at 130, bumping Dustin Bane up to 135 to replace injured starter Billy Wynne. The result was a 6-4 victory for Reiter (who wrestled at 112 the first time the teams met) and an 8-4 win for Spicer over Bane, currently ranked No. 6 in the state at 130, with one previous loss.

With the team score 18-3 in favor of Westminster, Cadets Kevin Ferraro, No. 5 in the state, came away with a 14-4 major decision. The Cadets marched double-time over the next four weight classes; Shane Hildebrand (145), No. 6 in the state, beat Billy Mathis, 6-0, while Keith Patterson (152), No. 6 at 160, pinned Owl back-up Bobby Whitestone. Bo Harper (160) picked up an extra team point with a 9-1 major decision over Austin Lanham. Completing the drill was Steve Flook (171) who won 13--2 over Owl Jared Brown.

The score was 24-18 in Frederick's favor with two matches left. Westminster now sent Ray Henry, Maryland's top ranked 189-pounder, to face Larry Raymond. Raymond, just returning from a six weeks' injury time out, gave him a battle but lost 11-4 making the team score 24-21. Swain then pinned Perry to stop the Cadets in their tracks.

"We're just not the same team that faced Frederick before" said Westminster coach Henry Mohlhenrich.

In the finals, Westminster lost to top-seed Arundel, 36-17.

In the 1A-2A championships, Lackey defeated Francis Scott Key, 42-24 in the semifinals, and went on to defeat Owings Mills, 54-17, for the championship. Owings Mills defeated Rising Sun, 36-28.

The Herald-Mail Articles