coplog feb 12

February 13, 1997

Frederick residents charged after chase

Three Frederick County, Md., residents were charged early Tuesday after their vehicle fled from a Washington County sheriff's deputy attempting to pull them over for speeding.

Belynda Cay Carter Drabczyk, 23, of 17160 B Gettysburg Road, Emmitsburg, Md., was charged with obstructing and hindering a police officer.

Anthony Eugene Sweeney, 21, of 8153 Rocky Ridge Road, Thurmont, Md., was charged with disorderly conduct.

Michael Paul Shilling, 19, of 8219 Rocky Ridge Road, Thurmont, received an alcohol citation and was served with an outstanding warrant.


Deputy Richard Schleigh said he began chasing the 1994 Pontiac Grand Am from U.S. 40 near Md. 66 at 2:12 a.m. when he clocked it going 70 in a 50 mph zone.

The pursuit continued onto Hebb Road and into Funkstown where the vehicle stopped on Chestnut Street and three of five occupants fled.

Shilling was apprehended a short time later but the other two people, including the driver, got away, Schleigh said.

A Maryland State Police helicopter was called to the scene to assist in the search, according to Greg Alton, a police communications officer with the Sheriff's Department.

Fire damages two cars, various tools

CLEAR SPRING - A fire that broke out in the garage of a house on Spickler Road Wednesday night damaged two cars and various tools, the Clear Spring Volunteer Fire Co. said.

Firefighter Dave Irvin Jr. said the 7:30 p.m. fire was quickly contained to the garage area at 13109 Spickler Road. Smoke traveled throughout the two-story house, he said.

Irvin said it was difficult to make a damage estimate, but he said both cars in the garage were damaged along with some tools and electrical panels.

A woman who was vacuuming in the house noticed the smoke and fled to call the fire department, he said. There were no injuries.

The cause of the fire is still under investigation.

Office building briefly evacuated

The first floor of an office building on Hagerstown's Public Square was briefly evacuated Wednesday afternoon, but fire officials quickly determined there was no danger.

Battalion 3 Capt. Kyd Dieterich said someone reported smelling smoke around 1:30 p.m. at 14 N. Potomac St.

"It appeared to be an odor from a copying machine," he said.

Dieterich said workers were displaced for about 15 minutes while firefighters checked for fire.

The Herald-Mail Articles