A container of leaking nitric acid caused officials to delay a shift change Thursday evening at Phoenix Color Corp.'s plant off Western Maryland Parkway west of Hagerstown.
A private contractor for Phoenix had placed a metal 55-gallon container that was leaking nitric acid inside a larger plastic barrel earlier in the day, said Capt. Randy Myers of the Hagerstown Fire Department.
Shortly before 7 p.m., the nitric acid reacted with the larger barrel, burning a small hole through the plastic barrel, Myers said.
No one was injured, he said.
Workers arriving for the evening shift were allowed into the plant after the barrel had been removed and the building had been ventilated, Myers said.