Police said they searched the area but could not find the man.
The youths described him as a white male in his 20s, about 6 feet 3 inches tall, wearing a white ball hat and a blue coat.
Clothing stolen from store
A man took several items of clothing from the McCrory's store on West Washington Street Monday morning and then kicked a clerk who confronted him, the Hagerstown City Police said.
The man was described by police as black, 5 feet 7 inches tall, 130 pounds and in his 20s. He took two pairs of blue jeans and two pairs of underwear and placed them in his backpack at about 9:35 a.m., police said.
When a store clerk confronted him, he kicked her in the stomach, pushed her against a stack of greeting cards and ran out the store, police said.
The man ran down West Washington Street, police said. He was wearing a Dallas Cowboys jacket and a blue backpack, police said. Police searched the area but could not locate the suspect.
The clerk was taken to Washington County Hospital and treated for minor injuries and then released, police said.
Police estimated the value of the stolen items at $35.
Home is damaged by fire
A Monday afternoon electrical fire caused about $2,000 worth of damage to a house at 21919 Martin Circle in the Crest Valley development, fire officials said.
The name of the homeowner was unavailable at Monday night. No one was injured.
Mount Aetna Volunteer Fire Department Chief Terry Stouffer said a wire short-circuited in the ceiling heating unit, sparking the fire just after 5 p.m.
Firefighters brought the fire under control in about 15 minutes, he said. He said they were able to contain the fire to the attic of the house.
Blaze ignited at fire station
Contractors trying to warm frosty bricks accidentally caused a propane tank line to rupture outside the Halfway Volunteer Fire Co. on Lincoln Avenue off Virginia Avenue Monday morning, Deputy Chief Doug DeHaven said.
The line, which ran from a tank to a heater, ignited at the valve and caused the 9 a.m. fire that burned a plastic and plywood lean-to put up by construction workers, DeHaven said.
The fire hall was evacuated. DeHaven said the fire extinguished itself, and firefighters allowed the propane tank to leak until empty. No one was hurt, and damage was confined to construction equipment, DeHaven said.
Workers are replacing the front of the station with a brick facade as work continues on the company's new firehall.