Warriors swat Rebels, 62-60

January 17, 1997


Staff Correspondent

BOONSBORO - After watching many of its inside shots get rejected, Boonsboro finally turned the tide on South Hagerstown. And the Warriors did it just in the nick of time.

Two blocked shots in the final 21 seconds allowed Boonsboro to escape with a 62-60 victory Friday night in a Monocacy Valley Athletic League boys' basketball game.

Antoine Becks, South's primary force inside, fouled out with 1:33 remaining. Doug Nicodemus took advantage by sinking a five-foot hook with 38 seconds left for a 61-60 Boonsboro lead. Nicodemus then blocked a Derek Green shot at the offensive end, and Andy Beard followed by sinking one of two free throws before Cullen Coleman rejected a Mike Benner shot with six seconds left to seal the win.


"(Green) just waited too long to shoot," said Nicodemus, who led all scorers with 24 points. "And I just went up to block it."

Both teams made 24 field goals and seven free throws, but the Warriors (5-6, 4-4) were more accurate from 3-point range. Brad Conway connected on five of seven 3-pointers, including his first four, and finished with 21 points for Boonsboro.

"I was really pleased with our offense compared to the way we've been playing lately," said Warriors coach Curt Conway. "We haven't played in a week, and we spent a lot of that time working on being more patient offensively. We have some players who can shoot the 3s, but before tonight they weren't taking good 3s."

It was those 3-pointers which allowed Boonsboro to establish a 24-11 lead after the first eight minutes. South (4-7, 2-6) was packed in a tight, zone defense, so the Warriors countered by hitting four of five from beyond the arc. But a 13-6 run by the Rebels in the last four minutes of the second period -sparked by seven points from Eric Socks - trimmed the margin to 36-33 at the half.

Becks scored six of his 11 points in the third quarter, including a layup with 1:33 left to tie the score at 48. But Nicodemus responded with a layup a minute later for a two-point lead entering the final period.

Five straight points put Boonsboro up 55-51 midway through the final quarter. But Socks led a 6-0 South run two minutes later to give the Rebels a three-point edge before Becks was whistled for his fifth foul.

"We lost both our big men (to foul trouble) and we lost both guards since the last time we played them," said South coach Bob Starkey. "We were patched together tonight, but I thought we kept our composure pretty well."

The Herald-Mail Articles