One dead, one injured in shooting

January 07, 1997



Staff Writers

A Frederick County man is in custody in Frederick in connection with a triple shooting Monday night that left a Frederick County woman dead and a Pennsylvania man seriously injured, Maryland State Police said this morning.

The suspect, whose name was being withheld this morning pending charges, was being held at the Frederick barracks this morning, according to Greg Shipley, spokesman for the Maryland State Police.

The shootings appear to be related to a domestic situation involving the suspect, his estranged wife and a number of friends and acquaintances of the couple, according to one shooting victim's wife.


Dead is Linda K. DeLauter, 53, of the 12000 block of Wolfsville Road, Myersville, Shipley said. She was shot once in the chest just after 11 p.m. Monday, he said.

The fatal shooting of DeLauter was apparently the final round in the bizarre series of events that began earlier Monday night in Pennsylvania when a Franklin County man was shot and seriously injured in his home, police said.

Richard Sanchez, of 10984 Gehr Road in Franklin County, Pa., was in serious condition this morning in the intensive care unit of Washington County Hospital.

Washington Township Police said Sanchez and his wife, Candace, were sitting on a sofa in their basement at 10:47 p.m. when the suspect broke through the glass in a sliding glass door and began firing.

Sanchez was hit in the neck, chest, groin and ankle, police said. At least three shots were fired, according to his wife, Candace Sanchez.

"We were sitting in the basement on the couch by the fire," said Candace Sanchez this morning. "A gunshot blew out our sliding glass door," she said.

The man, whom Candace Sanchez said was a self-employed pilot based out of Washington County Regional Airport, fired four gunshots at her husband, she said.

"He didn't say anything. He just started shooting," she said.

"We have two dogs and none of them barked, so we didn't hear him at all," she said.

After the shooting, she reached for the phone to dial 911, she said. The intruder grabbed the phone out of her hand and then slammed it to the ground, she said.

He then left the way he came, and she called 911, she said. She was concerned that he hadn't left the house because she heard sounds after that, she said.

"I heard noises, but that could have been our dogs. Our dogs were terrified when the gunshots went off," she said.

Sanchez said her husband's assailant had separated from his wife and was angry at people he thought were hiding her from him.

DeLauter had helped his wife find a place to live in the Myersville area where her husband couldn't reach her, she said.

Sanchez said she and her husband used to work at Fort Ritchie. Her husband is a retired warrant officer in the Army, she said. She works at the Department of Energy, she said.

Sanchez said that she and her husband have been flying for fun at the airport for about six years.

Shell casings were found on the floor of the house, which is several miles north of Waynesboro, according to Washington Township Police Chief Kurt Braun.

Braun said he believed the weapon used in the shooting was a semi-automatic handgun.

A gun matching that description was seized when the suspect was taken into custody, Shipley said.

From Pennsylvania, the suspect apparently drove to Frederick County, stopping first at the home of Linda Grossnickle, 44, of the 12600 block of Wolfsville Road, Myersville, and knocked on the door, Shipley said.

Grossnickle went to the door and opened it, Shipley said.

"She knew him and ran back into the house as the suspect fired several shots at her,'' Shipley said. "All four shots missed her and the suspect left.''

After DeLauter was shot, her husband called police and told them the suspect was driving a 1996 Chevrolet Geo.

A lookout for that car led to a Frederick County Sheriff's deputy spotting the vehicle on Interstate 70 - parked along the roadway at Braddock Mountain.

"The suspect was alone in his vehicle when apprehended,'' Shipley said, dispelling earlier reports that someone else was in the car when the arrest was made.

"A K-9 was used to help in the apprehension of the suspect,'' Shipley said. The man was taken to Frederick Memorial Hospital where he was treated for bite wounds.

The Herald-Mail Articles