Williamsport rallies past North

December 06, 1996


Staff Correspondent

It took a while for Williamsport to get going.

But when it did, North Hagerstown couldn't recover.

The Wildcats rallied from a 13-2 deficit to defeat the Hubs, 56-47, Thursday in a Monocacy Valley Athletic League girls' basketball season-opener for both teams.

Williamsport, relying on a deep bench, went on a 13-4 run to start the third quarter, turning a 28-26 halftime deficit into a 39-30 lead. Ashley Van Norden scored five points for Williamsport during the surge.


After North Hagerstown closed the gap to 39-35, Williamsport started the fourth quarter with an 11-6 run for a 50-41 lead with less than four minutes left in the game.

Darylle Hall sank one of two free throws and made a basket for North Hagerstown to cut Williamsport's lead to 50-44 with 2:41 to go. However, the Wildcats outscored the Hubs, 6-3, to seal the victory.

"We're going to use 10 people all year," Williamsport coach Curtis Graff said. "Tonight, we were able to use 13 players and all of them contributed. If we're going to win, we're going to win defensively. Steals are the results of five people doing their jobs. Our players were in the right places and they got the ball."

Carrie Weimer had 14 points and 11 rebounds. Janet Richmond added 12 points for Williamsport. Jessica Rouse had 10 rebounds while Megan Andrews added seven. Erin Gross and Van Norden each had five assists.

Tia Ferguson delivered 12 points and 10 rebounds, while Chris Scott chipped in with nine points and four steals for North Hagerstown. Kristin Sherwood, a 6-foot-2 center, grabbed seven rebounds.

"In the first half, we came out focused and we were passing the ball around," North Hagerstown coach Diane Telemko said. "We were also getting the rebounds in the first half, which led to second and third shots."

Sherwood scored seven points and had five rebounds, while Ferguson added four points during the first 6:05 of the game when North Hagerstown built its 13-2 advantage.

However, the Wildcats outscored the Hubs 7-2 during the last 1:55 of the first quarter to narrow the gap to 15-9.

The Herald-Mail Articles