Fire destroys trailer home

November 26, 1996


Staff Writer

SHARPSBURG - Fire engulfed a trailer home on Taylors Landing Road Tuesday night, destroying it and everything inside.

No one was hurt in the fire.

The blaze moved fast. Firefighters responded at about 9 p.m. By the time they put out the flames about 30 minutes later, the home had been reduced to smoldering ashes and charred possessions.

"We tried all we could," said Sgt. David Hose, of the Fairplay Volunteer Fire Department. "There was nothing we could do. It was already gone."


Hose said the trailer was owned by Melvin L. Gossard Jr. of 16867 Taylors Landing Road. He said Gossard, his wife and his two children were in Gossard's father's house on the property when the fire struck.

Water tankers from Fairplay, Boonsboro, Sharpsburg and Williamsport provided water for the effort.

Jim Woods, of the state Fire Marshal's office, arrived on the scene at about 9:45 p.m. He began by inspecting the remains of the washer and dryer unit, but said he could not immediately determine the fire's cause.

The Herald-Mail Articles