Bank robbery case goes to grand jury

November 22, 1996


Staff Writer

MARTINSBURG, W.Va. - The case against a Washington, D.C., man charged in the Nov. 14 robbery of the Baker Heights branch of One Valley Bank will go before a grand jury in February.

Following a one-hour preliminary hearing Thursday, Berkeley County Magistrate Ruth Donaldson found probable cause to send the case of Elvin Emmanuel Campbell, 39, to the grand jury.

Campbell faces a charge of armed bank robbery. He was being held in the Eastern Regional Jail in lieu of $100,000 bond.


Sgt. Jack Hockman and Trooper Deanna Miller of the West Virginia State Police testified at Thursday's hearing.

Campbell, who is homeless, is an outpatient at the Veterans Administration Hospital in Martinsburg, and goes there regularly for treatment of a mental disorder, according to testimony.

On the day of the robbery, a man entered the bank and passed a hand-written note to a teller, according to testimony. The teller gave the man $1,650, which he put into a satchel. He left the bank and got into a gray sedan driven by a man and with a woman passenger in the front seat, according to testimony.

The couple, acquaintances of Campbell, occasionally gave him rides from Washington to the VA hospital for treatment, according to testimony. They were unaware of the robbery and have not been charged, according to testimony.

Hockman said that on the way to the VA hospital, Campbell asked the couple to stop at the bank so he could do some business.

"They did not know his intent or that he had committed a robbery," Hockman testified.

After the robbery, the couple drove Campbell to the VA hospital for medication, according to the police testimony. While there, he spent about $90 on new clothes, including sweat pants, a sweat shirt and Reebok shoes, according to testimony. He threw his old clothes, a knit hat and a satchel into a garbage can which he later showed to police, according to testimony.

Campbell was apprehended just over the Jefferson County line following a slow-speed chase, according to testimony.

Police found $1,550 in cash, but no gun, according to Hockman.

Hockman testified that Campbell confessed to the robbery in a taped statement to police, saying he needed money to care for his mother.

Campbell remained silent during the hearing.

The Herald-Mail Articles