Advertisement

Fire destroys 200-year-old barn near Greencastle

November 18, 1996

By STEVEN T. DENNIS

Staff Writer, Waynesboro

GREENCASTLE, Pa. - A barn that may have been 200 years old burned to the ground Sunday after two juveniles started a fire in the straw while playing with matches, according to Pennsylvania State Police.

Greencastle Fire Chief Bob Ebersole, who was the first firefighter on the scene, saved several cows housed in the barn at 763 Zarger Road by opening the gates and letting them run into the fields behind the barn, he said.

The house across from the barn was built in 1781, and officials said the barn was probably built about the same time.

Advertisement

The barn, which was still smoldering late Sunday, was valued at about $100,000, police said. A new baler and other machinery inside also was destroyed, Ebersole said.

Firefighters were called to the scene at 11:50 a.m. and were on the scene for about two hours, Ebersole said. About 75 firefighters responded.

Ebersole said the barn was in flames when he arrived and firefighters were just trying to contain the fire. Firefighters were able to use water from a nearby stream.

No one was injured.

The owner of the barn is Miller Eugene Martin of 10404 Grindstone Hill Road.

No charges have been filed, but the state fire marshal is continuing the investigation.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|