Police, teens clash at club in Waynesboro

November 13, 1996


Staff Writer, Waynesboro

WAYNESBORO, Pa. - A confrontation between Waynesboro police and teenagers at the Extremes Nite Club Monday night ended with police using pepper spray, two car windows smashed, and three 16-year-old boys in custody.

Meanwhile, according to police, a crowd of young people were outside the club at 406 E. Main St. club, cursing, yelling and spitting at the two police officers and their police car. Washington Township Police were called in to assist the Waynesboro police at the scene.

The incident began Monday at 7:36 p.m. when police were called to the club and told that three boys had vandalized the men's bathroom. They had been told to leave and had refused, police said.


According to a press release by Officer Rodney Zwigart, he asked the boys if they were going to leave, and one refused and cursed at Zwigart.

Zwigart then grabbed the boy by his arm, lifted him up and told him he was under arrest for criminal trespass, police said. The boy used obscene language, Zwigart said in the release.

"I grabbed the juvenile again and he turned around and started to punch this officer," Zwigart said. Zwigart's glasses were knocked off and his tie was ripped off, Zwigart said. Zwigart then threw the boy to the ground and managed to handcuff him and place him in the police car, Zwigart said.

The boy kicked the right rear door of the car, shattering the window and bending the frame of the door, Zwigart said. The boy also spit all over the car, Zwigart said. Another officer then sprayed the boy with pepper spray, and he finally quieted down, Zwigart said.

The boy was charged with aggravated assault, resisting arrest, criminal mischief, criminal trespass and disorderly conduct. He was taken to Woodside Juvenile Detention Center.

A second boy who refused to leave was arrested and charged with criminal trespass and disorderly conduct, police said. He was released to his mother.

A third boy had also refused to leave and struggled when Zwigart tried to arrest him, Zwigart said. The boy was taken to the ground and handcuffed. On the way to a police car, the third boy smashed the rear right window out of a 1986 Dodge owned by Diana Wagaman, who works at Extremes, Zwigart said.

He was charged with criminal trespass, disorderly conduct, and criminal mischief. He was taken to Franklin County Prison.

Mark Hoffman, the manager of Extremes, said the vast majority of his customers behave well. "This was just a cleaning house process. Out of every batch there is going to be a few bad apples."

Hoffman also issued a warning against anyone planning to do mischief in his club.

"We're not afraid to stand up to them. We run a clean business and it's going to stay that way whether the hoodlums like it or not."

The Herald-Mail Articles